Many of us use Entrecard to drive alot if not pretty much all of our traffic to our blogs, but how useful is it?

If you look at Entrecard traffic on a micro scale id say its pretty useless, meaning look at a indvidual person. Theres a very high chance that that person is going to spend a total of 5 seconds on your blog to drop there card and leave possibly before your site even fully loads. Plus theres also a very good chance that you spend some time of your life dropping a card on their blog first to get them to come to yours. If you add up all those seconds could you be doing something better to bring real traffic to your site or to make money another way? Of course sometimes someone will discover your site through Entrecard and actually read it, maybe every day, but its rare. In short looking at the individual its a useless and a waste of time.

What about at a macro scale though? Meaning your Entrecard traffic as a whole. The more drops you get, no matter how useless as individuals do the following as a whole. They raise your Entrecard popularity which increases the chances of someone really interested in your topic of choice ending up at your site. They raise things like your Alexa rate and page rank possibly (if they link to you). Both of these have advantages obviously whether it be search engine ranking or attracting advertisers . Plus you can do some useful things with all of the Entre credits your gatherings. Whether it be selling them, buying things, or useing them to get more traffic. But do all of these benefits out weigh the time spent dropping cards?

My opinion is it depends on how you go about it. If you spend all of your time attracting people to a blog like this whos interests are things like celebrity gossip then your not maximizing your time spent (i cant say that im not guilty of that sometimes too though).

I have seen the benefits to my blog because of Entrecard, i get more comments, more ad clicks and more referrals, what about you?

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // July 10, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

    Very interesting blog post - and you can count me as someone who used Entrecard to read a post on your blog :)

    But like you, I find that is rare. And when I'm spending time dropping, I do scan for relevant posts that interest me - but admittedly, most do not at that time.

    I'm still not decided yet on Entrecard and the time issues that seem to go along with it.

  2. Anonymous // July 10, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

    Entrecard gives a lot of exposure to our blog especially if it's a new blog. I must say, it's a better place to start with aside from other link building we're using to gain more traffic.
    On average, maybe about 90% of my visitors spend the 5 seconds and not bothering about my posts especially if it's not on their niche, but that's ok, Entrecard is just one of the many strategies we can utilize in traffic building.
    I drop and I comment on posts I'm interested to.

  3. Anonymous // July 11, 2008 at 12:59 AM  

    You have right points about entrecard system. If we spend your earned credits blindly without checking the blogs first, it is quite possible to end up with great loss of time thus money.

    I try to advertise only on selected blogs which I think bring real traffic.

    Entrecard is a short term investment, better to build something useful or write a long post will bring more in the long run.

    For make money online blogs entrecard is really useful when you advertise or just dropping because you can get many referrals especially from new bloggers who are not much experienced yet about such systems like sponsored reviews etc.

  4. Anonymous // July 11, 2008 at 2:21 AM  

    I'd say 1/10 visitors from Entrecard read what you have to say. This would be one more reader than I had before. FYI, I came from Entrecard.

    I am not as heavy of an Entrecard user as I used to be because it would take too much time out of my day. I was one of those people that wanted to stop and read everything new posted.

    I can say, if you keep posting and using Entrecard your traffic will become more sticky. Droppers do notice new posts and even though they don't read them today, they may tomorrow.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is don't become obsessed about dropping 300 cards every day, but use Entrecard to network, find new blogs, and new readers.

  5. Anonymous // July 11, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

    i've been a member of Entrecard for more or less a month now and i have to agree with you about people who are only dropping their cards without even reading your posts.

    there are advantages and disadvantages. i read in one blog that EC increases a blog's bounce traffic (not sure of the name), meaning it increases the amount of people who spend 3 to 5 seconds on your blog. for me, i use it to find interesting blogs. i'm also guilty of spending little time in other blogs but if i find a blog interesting, i make sure to read it. also, i reciprocate the drops.

    now, i've been reading almost all of the blogs that i drop my card to. most of them are intresting for me :)

    chorva!
    http://www.chorva.net
    http://www.baboyita.net

  6. Lynn // July 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM  

    You're right. I'm still new with this entrecard thing and i still have a lot to learn here. But so far i can say, my traffic has increased because of it. I don't really mind if people would just hop in my blogs and dropped without even reading the contents 'cause i am guilty of such sometimes too. They may have reasons and i have my reasons too. I don't have much time sometimes to read and scan the contents of each blog that i visit. But i do take time to read whenever i get the chance like today. (",)

    Have a nice day!