Blog Experiment

Posted by Roy | 6:07 PM | 6 comments »

I have an experiment that I started a couple of days ago.

The Reason: A curiosity about if the topic of my blog (making money) inherently causes it to “fail” (not that I consider my blog a failure necessarily). What I mean is there’s so many making money online blogs that people could easily dismiss it as probably having nothing new to offer. Plus I'm sure the idea of making money online seems stupid or nerdy to a large portion of the population. Further more I get like 0 AdSense clicks a day on average, I think a large part of this is because most of them on my site turn out to be things like “ Make 100k in 5 minutes” Most peoples reaction to those ads I’m sure is something similar to ‘ya…sure I will’ And 99.99% of the time I'm sure that response is well warranted. But obviously another reason is i dont get massive traffic yet.

As regular readers may know I don’t like to do things, therefore enter Mark. Mark is one of my house mates, under my supervision he will be conducting most of the experiment. I convinced him to help with promises of vast wealth.

The Idea: Girls
Vague I know, details later, but lets just think about it for a second.
What is something that that half the population (and probably more then half of the ‘blogging population' would be interested in? Girls
Whats something that half the population wont find stupid or nerdy? Girls.
I could go on for awhile but you get the point. Its hard to find a topic that half the topic is interested in I would imagine.

So Mark is going to make a blog that focuses around pictures of attractive girls. He has pretty much total creative control over the project with a few restrictions.

My hypothesis is that he will develop a larger ‘reader base' then me because his blog will apply to more to the general population then my own. People who usually visit the blog through Entrecard who would normally just drop and leave in under 5 seconds may spend more time on the blog. There will be more AdSense and other ad form clicks partly due to the fact that people are spending more time on the blog and partly because the ads will be much more interesting. His blogs popularity will grow faster then mine did. I'm not sure about comments, a lot of my entries actually get comments now, although I cant even picture myself considering about commenting on a site like that I can picture a lot of people with the overwhelming urge to tell the world that ‘that girl is hot’ so I'm also going to say that he will have more comments then me.

You can submit pictures to the blog for EntreCredits. 50 credits per picture that is used up to a maximum of 200 credits, or 4 pictures per post. You can also include a link that you want displayed at the bottom of the post if you want (good source of back links!). And you get ANOTHER link in the blogroll which will be for people who have submitted pictures.

Send all pictures to markyyy@live.com

So now the only question is I'm a genius, or have a just sunk to a new low?

Visit the blog HERE

[Update: Haha... i just showed Mark how to set up adsense ads. Right now theres ads for several different ethnicities of women and 2 ads for Buffy the Vampire Slayer...humorous]

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // July 15, 2008 at 1:37 AM  

    The MMO niche is so full right now that it is really difficult to make money with a blog in this niche. Do I think you'll fail, not if you keep plugging. You are on the right track with starting another blog not in this niche.

    Should you give up on this blog, no. Just don't expect to make a ton of money from it for a while. Also, I probably wouldn't rely on Adsense for a MMO niche blog. Most people that are reading, know what the ads are there for and unless something REALLY catches their eye, they won't click. Will Adsense work on the girls site, probably, once you start receiving search engine traffic.

    Hang in there, the key to making anything online is persistence and duplication; once you find something that works duplicate it in another niche.

  2. Anonymous // July 15, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

    I think you have a genius idea. I haven't seen many blogs that are covering girls, so it might just be the best niche yet!

    ~Teresa
    www.naturalbabybiz.com

  3. Anonymous // July 15, 2008 at 2:12 PM  

    Great idea. If it's about girls, it surely succeed. I just wonder if what type traffic you get.

    Show us more updates in your blog experiment.

  4. Anonymous // July 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

    Roy,

    One thing you could try to hone your Ads on the current site is using the "competitive ad filter" in Adsense to block ads that look like junk to you. This way you can display more "quality" ads, since I agree some of the ridculus claims destory credibility for that ad. Espeically MMO based advertisements. Good luck man!

  5. dm // July 16, 2008 at 2:58 PM  

    One of the bloggers who did it is www.bloggernoob.com
    The reason I noticed him was actually - girls pictures...
    He writes about blogging but has very good quality photos of celebrities....

  6. Anonymous // July 17, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

    I don't think that it is a waste of time at all. You have to experiment and take different avenues. People can tell you that it will or will not work, but I feel that it is best to test drive niches on your own.